Monday, November 5, 2012

Souls set free

end of the balloon release at Reyes' Memorial service-pink was his favorite color

Today I went to a memorial service for a 4 year old, Reyes Che Casias.  Reyes was the grandson of our next door neighbors, and he passed away from a rare form of Leukemia.   Prior to his diagnosis in February 2012, Reyes was a typical little boy who did typical little boy things, wrestle with his older brother, play outside, pretend to be a superhero, which earned him the nickname "Sonic".  Reyes passed away too soon, at the innocent age of just 4 1/2 years old.  Despite the unimaginable sadness of losing a child, it was a beautiful service and a celebration of his life.
As I sat at the service, I thought of another small child that passed away a few months ago, Hayley Randell.  Hayley was not a typical child, she had PKS.  In her 4 years of life, she was never able to run around with other kids, or play dress-up, or even communicate her wants and needs.  As most kids are with PKS, Hayley was severely disabled from head to toe.  She passed away from a heart complication and she too, passed away too soon.   I also thought of our other next door neighbor's daughter, Sophia Chappel, who passed two years ago, at just over 1 year old.  As I thought of Hayley and Sophia and Reyes my heart began to smile.  I realized that they all would soon be friends.  Friends in Heaven free to run and jump and play together, as equals.  Where there are no handicaps, no Leukemia and pain to overcome!  I know they will meet and they will live in eternity, free to fly, free to laugh, to live in happiness forever!

At Reyes' service today this was written in the program and I thought it was so beautiful, I'm going to pass it along to Hayley's family too.
Miss Me-But Let Me Go
When I come to the end of the road
And the sun has set for me, 
I want no rites in a gloom filled room
Why cry for a soul set free?
Miss me a little-but not too long
And not with your head bowed low,
Remember the love that we once shared
Miss me-But let me go.
For this journey that we all must take
And each must go alone, 
It's all part of the Master's plan
A step on the road to home. 
When you are lonely and sick of heart
Go to the friends we know, 
And bury your sorrows in doing good deeds.
Miss me- But Let me Go...

The pain of losing a child is something I could never imagine and something no parent should ever have to endure.  I'm so sorry for the loss of Reyes, and Hayley, and Sophia, and Maelynn and so many more...I know they are playing together, with their 'souls set free' in Heaven, and happy forever.  

No comments: