Sunday, March 24, 2013

"Thank You Lucia!"


My sister in law, Ashley, called me earlier this week and had a glowing sound in her voice.  She said something like this "I just wanted to call and say thank you Lucia for introducing me to a beautiful world!" She went on to tell me about two people she had met that day.  That afternoon, Ashley was walking in her neighborhood park and saw a man pushing his son in a wheelchair.  With her daughter and Tank the pug by her side, she approached and introduced herself to them.  Tank was very loving, sweet, and of course, extremely entertaining, as pugs tend to be, and it brought a smile to the handicapped boy.  Ashley visited with them for a little while and was so happy that she did.  The boy was non-verbal but seeing him smile and seeing his dad appear touched that she made the effort to come over made Ashley's day.
Then later, Ashley was out for dinner with her family and saw a disabled woman,also in a wheelchair, at the table close to theirs.  At some point she picked up Taylor, their 11 month old daughter, and stopped by to say hi to the woman and her family.  They smiled and the woman's family talked to the girls and thanked them for coming over to say hi.
Ashley told me, before Lucia she would have never done that.  "Lucia has opened up a whole new world" to her and she loves it.  She loves that she isn't scared or hesitant anymore.  She loves that the people she met were excited she came over and no doubt, it really made her day as she sounded extremely lit up and happy on the phone when she called me.  Brought tears to my eyes.
I know growing up, there was no one like Lucia in our lives either, and I too was scared and hesitant to approach someone different, especially if there were other 'typical' people around-what the heck?! Who knows, but I know now that what Ashley did by 'getting closer' just with a simple friendly interaction is a beautiful thing, and yes, I agree with Ashley too, a more beautiful world.
Thank you Ashley for sharing and Lucia, our Lubird, thank you for being you and being ours!
Tank the pug and Kayla as a baby (now almost 3)

Ash and Little Lu

Sweet Taylor that day at the park
Last weekend we also had the pleasure of cousin Imogen visiting with her parents, Courtney and my brother Jon.  So cute to see all the munchkins together.

Love you Kim and Court!
not sure why these pics are so small..?


And we would like to welcome Lincoln Zapata into the world-almost a week old! Lincoln was born to my sweet friend Katie Shean and Dave Zapata, and he is having a rough start.  You are in our prayers sweet Lincoln and we hope they get you feeling better VERY soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lucia--You have opened my eyes to a more beautiful and loving world. Love you! Ashley