Friday, August 16, 2013

'What does Lucia like?'


A few times now a neighborhood friend and her tween twin daughters have babysat for Lu.  They watched her one night while we attended a wedding shower and they've watched Lu two times now while I've run some errands during the week.  They are great!  Yaisa and her two girls, Maya and Lise are caring, enthusiastic, fun, and very trusting.  I give them the basics- how to feed her, carry her, get her ready for bed if it's nighttime, and a few other special things.
This afternoon they watched Lubird for a couple hours and I visited for a little when I picked her up.    Yaisa asked what Lu's therapists did with her, and she also asked the simple question, "what does Lucia like?"   She genuinely wanted to know how they could do more.  When I've been asked this question before I've somewhat hesitated.  It's not a "Oh she likes princesses, or she likes to eat teddy graham's or watch cartoons". I realized today that I hesitate because it's so simple- our Lubird simply enjoys the simple things in life.  Since she isn't able to see or hear very well, details of princesses or cartoons don't mean too much to Lu.  This is what our bird likes that I shared.  She likes to be massaged.  She likes to sit up on your lap and be a part of things.  She likes music and lights and the outdoors.  She likes to take baths or swim.  She likes to get kisses from dogs.  She likes to have her forehead and toes tickled.  She likes to be given her bottle.  She likes when I clap her hands together. She simply likes to be loved.  Our bird,  our beautiful little Lubird, is here to give love and be loved.  Yes, we search for more things that she may love- fireworks on 4th of July - not so much so far, swinging- not so much right now either, food-not really other than her bottle...  We'll continue to look for what our Lucia may like, and right now we know she likes to be cared for, with music and lights around, bathed, massaged, fed her bottle and loved! Quite a life our lady of leisure has, and I can't think of anyone, even close, that I would rather take care of like this!
We love you our Lu and we will never stop doing the simple things with you, which simply put all goes back to being loved.
Thank you Yaisa, Maya and Lise for being so great with our Lu! And Scout, we know she does and will always love you!


2 comments:

Devon said...

What a beautiful post. Lucia is such a wonderful girl, Scout too (LOVE the name)! Berkley's PT just asked us what Berkley likes, and because of this post I felt much more at ease answering her question. We don't need to feel obligated to say our babies like material things, because that is not what God intended in the first place! They enjoy the beauty of all life has to offer, and we could all learn a little from our Angels. God Bless!

Unknown said...

Hi Lucia and family! This is Caroline, Karen Roberts' daughter--and your blog is fantastic! I also just read your article in the Greater Park Hill News, everything your family does for you is really incredibly heartwarming. I'm bummed that I'll be back at college for the PKS event but I would love to come over and meet Scout if you happen to need a sitter in December when I'm home. It's so good to see your smiling face in these pictures and I'm probably going to go through and read a lot more posts :) It's also inspiring because I just started a blog about Benjamin (armsareforgood.blogspot.com), so fellow bloggers unite! Miss you Lu and I hope to see you soon!