Thursday, July 10, 2014

a special rose


In March my sister-in-law Courtney and her daughter, Imogen visited from San Francisco.  One night we got together at a park with 3 of her friends from college and their kids.  One of their daughters, 7 year old Rose Paine, took particular interest to Lubird and we've been in touch ever since. On Monday we met Rose and her mom at the Butterfly Pavilion to celebrate Rose's 8th birthday and we had such a great time.  Lucia has a little note she'd like to share with Rose below.   
Rose and Lucia at the Butterfly Pavilion
 (lubird shying away from the camera)
i am a bird and i have a special rose.

dear rose,

i know i'm not like most kids you meet.  when we met at the park in march i mostly stayed in my stroller, as i'm unable to move myself around.   when we met at the park that day, i looked around as best i could, but my eyes don't work too well so i mostly enjoyed the bright sun, big green trees and giant blue sky.  when we met at the park that day, i listened to the kids around me laughing, little girls playfully screaming, and birds chirping.  for a while my mom put me in the bucket swing, but I get tired pretty fast sometimes so she put me back in my stroller, where i'm often most comfortable.   when we met at the park that day, i looked around, i listened to the sounds, i went swinging, i relaxed in my stroller.  i usually do those things when i go to the park with my mom, but this day i met a girl.  i met a girl that noticed me and wanted to get to know me.  i met a girl that makes me presents, writes me poems, and draws me pictures.  i met a girl that is now my penpal.  i met a girl that wanted to be my friend.  i met a girl named Rose, a girl that makes my heart sing!  i know i'm not like most kids you meet.  i know i can't play hop scotch, or jump rope, or make friendship bracelets with you like many kids can.  i know i can't  play dress-up, race you on the monkey bars, pick flowers or collect bugs like many others kids do too.  i can however promise that you make me happy!  i promise that although i can't hear or see well i love to know what you hear and see!  i love to learn about your life and the adventures you do.  i may not be able to run and jump and play but I love to watch and play in my own special way.  i am so happy that you are my friend.  i am so happy to receive your letters, your cards, your artsy craft presents, your beautiful poems.  the moment a letter comes in the mail from you i open it right away, my mom reads it to me, i listen to every single word and put each letter in a special place.  i feel the paper and look at the pictures and your pretty handwriting.  i read each letter over and over again and every day i get a letter from you is a wonderful day!  thank you for wanting to be my friend and my penpal.  i know i'm not like most kids you meet but my mommy and daddy think i am the best gift to anyone who takes time to get to know me.   i'm so glad you wanted to get to know me.  it was so fun meeting you and your mom on at the butterfly pavilion.  thank you rose for being you and for reaching out to me at the park. i am a bird and i have a special rose.  this rose has lifted my wings to make my spirits fly!
i hope to see you again real soon.
love,
your penpal, 
lubird dawkins 

i hope it's ok if i share the poem you wrote for me.  it's too beautiful not to share.


.

Thank you Rose for being our daughter's special friend.  You are a strong and beautiful Rose inside and out and your friendship is a gift.  


2 comments:

Unknown said...

So thankful Lucia has a Rose!

Unknown said...

Two amazing little girls. Thanks for sharing.