Thursday, December 29, 2011

A moment to remember

Lucia and my dad, her grampa

It's been a really good week and Tuesday was an especially great day.   Many times, a good day can be measured by a smile from Lu.  Look into my eyes little Lu and show me your sweet smile, that melts our hearts, and its a good day...make it two or more big smiles and perhaps a giggle and its a great day.   On Tuesday my parents came over for a good part of the day to visit.  I have been blessed to have such amazing parents and this little blog is an ode' to my pa.  My dad, my pa, a grampa to my lubird.  My dad is gentle, wise, generous, funny, creative, smart and on and on and on..  He is one of the kindest souls I know.  If you have had a chance to spend time with my dad, Butch, you know what I mean.
I have very tangly hair, it easily tangles, and it's very time consuming and difficult to untangle- still to this day..  Growing up, I remember when my dad would sometimes see my messy tangles and motion me to come over and sit on his lap, and he would gently and thoroughly comb through my hair until every tangle was gone.  At first the tangles hurt a bit but by the end it was such a safe, secure, and soft feeling and was a father daughter moment I'll always remember..
This Tuesday, I witnessed a grandfather granddaughter moment that I'll always remember. My dad leaned over beside Lucia and starting talking to her about how it was time to rub her back- (he is the world's best back rubber to his little grandkids).  He was talking and rubbing her head and running his fingers through her fine hair, looking deep into her eyes, and her into his.  She was staring back, and feeling her grampa's touch and she started smiling.  Lucia smiled and smiled and then giggled, and giggled again, then she started talking, and talking and smiling more..it had to have gone on for a few, maybe even five minutes..and it was one the MOST beautiful few minutes I have ever seen.  I watched and smiled, and shed some happy, happy tears and I smiled and watched and smiled and watched as two of my favorite people in the world bonded so beautifully.  It was a moment I will never forget.  My dad, my pa, the grampa to my bird.  I could not ask for a better dad, and now I see how lucky my child is and how lucky SHE FEELS! Thank you dad for being the dad you are to me and the grampa you are to my Lu.  You touch our lives in more ways than you can ever imagine.   Someday I know you'll untangle her little hair for her too.   I love you Pa.
part of the special moment- Lubird and her grampa who likes to call her Louie :)

Thank you Uncle Phil, Aunt Helen and cousins Celesta, Nora and Leah for an amazing, most delicious Christmas care package!  Thank you Aunt Courtney and Uncle Jon for Lu's pretty hoodie and baby legs.  Happy Birthday Aimee Beatty and HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my sweet nephew, Hudson- 6 YEARS OLD!  And Maria LePugh Pugia- we can't wait to see you!
Thank you Grammy and Grampa again for being here for the holidays and loving on our sweet Lubird.
My dad with his other granddaughter, sweet Charley
Dad giving Lu a backrub and his sidekick, Henry, the PUG!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

on the day after Christmas, my mom and i did our ritual watching of a ridiculous old movie that i make fun of the whole time and even at 35 years old, I still plop my feet in her lap and she massages them for me, heaven. We are lucky people to have such great families! Lu looks adorable in her holiday gear! Happy New Year! cant wait to catch up soon :) Much Love, Lisa P

BeeMighty said...

I love this story.
xo - Happy New Year, Lu. -xo c

tonya said...

Oh Butch.....what a kind soul! I love this story, this moment, this love!!!! SO touching & inspirational. We can't wait to see you all again soon....early in 2012, for sure! xxoo

Anonymous said...

Can't stop the tears from rolling after reading that one... The special bond between a father and daughter has always been so touching to me and and this sweet story of the bond between your dad and Lu is beautiful. Enjoy every second with your loved ones. You are so blessed and I'm sure your dad could not be more proud of you:) Love, Taryn

Anonymous said...

I cannot stop crying. This is beautiful and touching and perfect and wonderful.
xoxoLMK