Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Happy New Year



2013 has been a great year for our little Dawkins family and we have so much to be grateful for.  In June, Little Lu became an older sister to Scout Lumiere.  We decided to have a second child in part so that someone would be around to "look out" for Lu once we are old or dead.  Hence, the name Scout.  Being extremely protective of our Little Lu, it took me a month or so to truly warm up to our newest little girl.  However, as she grows up a bit everyday, her personality has begun to flourish.  She has me completely wound around her finger.  I couldn't be happier with her never ending smile and her constant pursuit of trouble.  She will be a wonderful little sister for Lucia.

Also this year, we had the 3rd annual St. Lucia Party to raise money for PKS Kids.  Once again, over 200 friends and family showed up in full force to support our beautiful Lu.   Many travelled from all over the country to attend and more than $50,000 was raised to support medical research, the PKS Conference, and Family Giving Grants.  We are so lucky to have such awesome friends and family.  

Shortly before the St. Lucia Party, Juliet called me at my office one afternoon and told me she had found a perfect house for our growing family.   We had searched for the better part of a year for a ranch style home that would be a great place for Lucia to grow up in.   We have had a few months to settle in now and we love it.  

This year we continued to get to know dozens of PKS families from all of the world.  Sharing stories, common struggles, and often (too often) supporting one another during hospital visits or worse.  Billy, Dillon, Gabby, Akeela, and Sterling are among the PKS Kids that earned their angel wings this year.  While devastated, their families have been courageous and inspiring.   We will never forget the kids and are comforted that they are watching over their PKS brothers and sisters here on earth.

A few weeks before his 90th birthday, my Grandpa passed away this year.  Poppy was a true friend, was funnier than anyone I've ever met, and lived to be with his family.   While he loved all of his great grand children, I know that he kept a special part of his heart for Lucia.   I think of him every day and I'm blessed to have been part of his life.   As he used to say, "Watch out, or I'll kick you in the como se llama".

As for Lucia, I continue to fall more in love with her every day.  While we didn't make any great achievements this year,  she does her best at therapy, horse back riding, or just hanging out.  She moved into her own bedroom including a queen size bed, fancy furniture from great parents, and pink stripes across the ceiling.  She seems to love her little sister and doesn't mind all that much that Scout has a great time climbing all over her.  

Personally, I feel like the luckiest guy on Earth.  I have two beautiful girls and a wife who is my best friend and also happens to be gorgeous.   Her love for her family (including our dogs) is unmatched by anyone I have ever met.   I love Jules more today than the day we were married in Mexico!

May 2014 be a great and healthy year for each and every friend and family!



3 comments:

Dawn said...

Happy New Year to your family Jason! What a beautiful tribute to your girls and you continue to be an inspiration to so many- including me. May 2014 be a blessed year for you all. Would love to see you guys soon. xoxo

sallyw said...

It's great to hear all about Scout and Lu, their progress and how they get on as sisters. It's also lovely to read your beautiful tribute to Jules - I'm sure her love simply reflects the strength of love you give out to her and your beautiful daughters every day. Keep doing a great job as a father, husband and blog-master extraordinaire!!! Sally :)

Beth Hidalgo said...

Love you guys, your hearts, and your story. Thanks for always taking the time to inspire others!