Sunday, January 19, 2014

She Laughs!


Every 6 months,  since Lucia has been receiving in home therapy/early intervention at 2 months old, we have a IFSP (Individualized Family Service Plan) meeting with her 'team'.  Her occupation, speech, and physical therapists and the care coordinator all come together at our house for about 1-2 hours.  We discuss how Lucia is doing, what goals have been met or not met, and what new accomplishments we think we could do over the next 6 months.  The goals have not changed much in the last 2 years.  We have accomplished a lot too-drinking from a bottle, sitting for longer periods at her special desk.. but many of the goals now seem like they will be a miracle.  Anyway, we love our therapists and we love how creative and determined they are with Lu.  They come up with new ideas and methods and keep things fresh and innovative.  While having the last IFSP, the care coordinator asked me a question and Jason happened to walk into the room so I asked him to respond.  Jason kind of chuckled as if "seriously, I need to answer this?".   He wasn't being jerky at all, it was more of a well Lu is Lu and she just does her thing..  I then realized that how Jason responded was how I wanted to now respond..I don't need to butter up or sugar coat her progress.  And it was then that I realized what my 'for now' goals truly were, at least part of them.
I shared with her therapists that I want Lu to be happy.   I want her to smile more.  I want her to laugh more.  And I would love to hear a belly laugh and find a way to get her to laugh consistently.  I shared that I love their efforts SO MUCH.  However, I don't want them to do new things just to do new things.  Let's all accept the fact that Lu is a simple beautiful bird and she does things on her time.  Let's work on the same things over and over every week and enjoy that hour together.  
Maybe it's a new year, maybe it's Lu's nutritious diet, including omega 3 fish oil that is feeding her brain, maybe it is her new little sister...but she is making progress.  She is happier, and laughing and truly enjoying life more than she ever has! I will now say...with confidence... that those goals are being met with beautiful bells on! 
She has been loving her therapy ball and EVERY day for the past 10 days she giggles and smiles on that ball- consistently ! HUGE.  SO HUGE.  
I've waited for the day where I lose track of how many times a day Lucia smiles and wasn't quite sure that day would come.  I've also waited for the day when we could get Lu to do a belly laugh and again, wasn't quite sure that day would come.  But, IT HAS COME AND IT'S INDESCRIBABLE how happy it makes us.  Her light overwhelms us with joy!  BIRD!!!  here's the proof! the end is the best part.  



http://youtu.be/61mWkxA-i0E
That is what i'm talkin' about! 
Goal of happiness-check!  Goal of more smiles-check! Goal of laughing, including belly laugh-CHECK! Let's keep it going Lu.  Love you more than ever before.  Scout, you crawler, stander, little go-getter smiley little one- YOU too are rocking our world!


3 comments:

Laura said...

Keep on laughing beautiful bird. Your joy touches us all. And we all should focus on the same goal, to smile and laugh everyday!

Love you!

Anonymous said...

Laughter really does make the world go round!!

I Love SomeBubby with PKS said...

Yay Lu!!! I loved reading this! I found myself with a big cheesy grin on my face:). I think the younger sibling changes things for them. Patrick took off as well, after Jameson was born. I can't pinpoint it, but it's something that gets them going:). Your girls are awesome!!