Sunday, June 12, 2011

Lucia Elizabeth Dawkins, Fresh Mountain Air


7 weeks old and Little Lu is on her first vacation-and boy does she deserve it!

Before I go any further I need to comment on Lucia's full name,  Lucia Elizabeth Dawkins.  My mom, Elizabeth, had more than deserved having my daughter carry her name, but after the last 6 weeks words can not express how thankful I am to my mom.  Thank you mom for helping me in more ways than any daughter could ever ask for- cooking, cleaning, showing up bedside at the hospital at the wee hours so I could sleep, helping me through doctor appointments when Jason could not be there and so much more....  Jason and I don't know what we would have ever done without you.   After two months of help and love, my mom heads back home to Ohio next Sunday and mom, you have no idea how much you'll be missed.

Last thursday, my mom, Lucia and I left my house around 10AM and were home around 5PM.  We managed 2 successful button feedings in the car, 3 doctor visits and gathering a lot of information.  Two of the visits went as well as they could have.  The ENT doctor was the first and the hardest.  Lucia seems to be doing well but we have not fixed her breathing problem.  In 5 weeks she will have another sleep study to see if her sleep apnea has improved from the severe category, we are praying each day that it has.  If Lucia is still having severe apneic episodes at that study we will have to make some very tough decisions.  Either jaw surgery, a tracheotomy or both.  I can't even believe I am typing that last sentence about our baby.  We will cross that bridge when it needs to be crossed.

For now we are in Vail enjoying fresh mountain air and some quality time together.

Thank you for thoughtful comments on the blog, homemade meals, cards, gifts, texts, and your prayers all for our little Lu.  Our little 10lb 6 oz girl with bright blue eyes and the cutest chubby toes feels the love all around her from near and far.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This post makes me smile. I hope you enjoy a great vacation together and get some rest. Looking forward to visiting when you return. Love you guys- Katy W

Anonymous said...

Liz, Lu, and you are amazing spirits! We're blessed to be a part of your journey and wish you all continued strength. Looking forward to seeing you soon. Love, E & A

Anonymous said...

You are such wonderful parents! Little Lu is so lucky.

We continue to pray specifically for a positive ENT report and to avoid a traech. We also pray for healing and strength for sweet Lucia. We pray for peace for her amazing parents, as we watch in awe of their love and grace. They are an inspiration to us all.

The Richters