Wednesday, July 6, 2011

A wonderful gift

It has been amazing how many touching and generous gifts Lucia and Jason and I have received since the arrival of our daughter.  Yesterday a care package came from a dear and long time friend, Leigh Bobilya-aka Lucy.  Lucy will be flying out from Indianapolis to visit and help in a couple weeks and is bringing her little girl, Elizabeth.  We were best of friends our freshman year of college at DePauw, then Lucy transferred and we have kept in touch over the past 19 years.  We have not seen each other in over 6 years.  I wanted to share her most amazing care package...hope you don't mind, Leigh.

Lucy made the L pictured above for Lucia.  It truly is one of the MOST BEAUTIFUL things i've EVER seen.  Here is what she wrote on the back.

Dearest little miss Lu
I have loved your mommy for lotsa years, and now i get to love you too!  This L hung in my room when i was little, but it was just a plain and boring L all those years!  When you were born, i decided to give my L to you. But first i tried to snazz it up, so that it might be almost even just a tiny bit as lovely and unique as you!
Will all the love i have to give, 
aunt Lucy.  

Lucy also sent along a gift for Jason along with a card.  The summer after our college graduation, Lucy and I backpacked in Europe.  One of the most memorable excursions was in Holland....although neither one of us were truly into flowers or planning, ironically we planned and made our way to the biggest tulip garden in the world, Keukenhof, Holland located about 25 miles from Amsterdam.  Here is what Lucy's card said....
Jul,
I know these days are filled with love, care, hope, concern, and joy all wrapped up in one beautiful package called Lucia.  You are in my thoughts constantly.  I hope Jason likes the pic- I guess the day finally came that we now know why we went to all that freakin trouble to take those pictures.  God knew you would be back in Holland amongst the beautiful tulips one day down the road.  And now that you're there, I may live in Italy day-to-day, but my love for Holland will never, ever be far away.  Our friendship has survived distance after distance ever since we met, Jul.  Truth be told, I actually see Lucia's birth as a bridge between the distance- called Motherhood.  We will always love our children the same no matter where we live. But I promise you that I will spend the rest of my life studying, learning, and seeking new information about Holland- that way we can travel together for Lu.  
I love you,  Lucy 

Below is one of about 50 pictures we took while at Keukenhof 15 years ago-Lucy framed this picture of me, amongst the hundreds of tulips, for Jason.

Thank you Lucy. Thank you so much.  I love you too and can't wait to see you and meet your Elizabeth.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

What beautiful, heartfelt gifts! What a wonderful and true friend Lucy is.

Thanks for keeping us updated with news of you, Jason and Lucia. We love you and think of you always!

xo,
Maggie, Rigel and the gang

Anonymous said...

Little Lu better watch out, aunt Lisa wants that L on her wall! However, it is so beautiful and unique it belongs with little Lu. Those Indiana girls are special I look forward to meeting Lucy! Lisa :)

Amy said...

Amazing

Grampy said...

We love this story!!! We love you too Lucy! What a wonderful gift you gave to our Jul, Jason, and Lu! Thank you for going out to Denver. Jul is so excited and we are so blessed to have you do this. Enjoy our home while there. We are so glad that you and Elizabeth will be staying there! Love, Liz and Butch

Anonymous said...

Awesome!

-Lee

Adam Huff said...

I love this story and the picture of Lu smiling.

Laura said...

That "L" is sparkly and just looking at it makes me happy, so perfect for Lucia! Can't wait to meet the incredible Lucy who sent it! Love you Lucia!

Anonymous said...

That is so sweet!

Anonymous said...

I love the L and I love the picture! Ashley Hunt