Monday, October 31, 2011

every step of the way!!!

Laura, Lu and Me and TCH for Lu's 6 month appt

When your husband can't make it to a doctor's appointment for your child, your best friend is just that, the next best thing.  My best friend, Laura Huff, didn't hesitate to miss work when I asked her to go to Lucia's 6 month genetics appointment on Friday.  The appointment was as expected, nothing monumental, but good to see Lucia's geneticist, and to know that we are doing everything we are supposed to be doing for Lucia.  How many times did Laura pick up Lucia's pacifier from the floor and wash it off, I don't know, but it was a lot, and she has done a whole lot more.  I do know how many times she has reached out to me in the last 6 months-every day since April 26th, 2011-the day Lucia was born.  How many times am I glad she reached out to me to check in, every day since April 26th, 2011.  We have been friends, like sisters, for almost 10 years, since we met in our neighborhood walking our dogs, and since Lucia was born I feel like I have seen a different side of Laura that is more than I could ever ask for.   She and her husband Adam visited us at Rose when Lucia was born, they were here to help the day Lucia came home for the first time (in a moment of panic that first hour, Adam even offered (but didn't)  to test out my pumped milk to make sure it wasn't too hot for Lu's little mouth- :) !!! ), they came to RMHC/Rocky Mountain Hospital for Children, where Lucia was for 10 days to have her surgery, EVERY single day, if even just to give a good-night kiss to Lu, they walked our dogs when we could not, they prayed with their families for Lu, and so much more.   The love that Adam and Laura share for each other is transparent the moment you see them together and Jason and I have seen the transparent love that Laura and Adam have for little Lu just by watching them with our little girl.
During this journey she has always helped me look on the bright side.  She has cried with me, rejoiced with me, even on the littlest things, she has reminded me that if, during rough times, there is an option to treat Lucia, even if its scary,  "at least there is an option and we'll figure it out."  On my birthday this year, she gave me a special card and wrote "...Whatever lies ahead, know that I am going to be there every step of the way!!.." There is not one moment that she has not proven that.  A phone call, a text, a cocktail, a yoga class,  a walk to talk about many things, a walk to just be with your friend by your side in silence,  a friend to love your child as much as you could ever ask anyone to, even when you didn't ask.

L is for Lucia, L is for the light, and L is for Laura. Big steps, small steps and maybe even some back steps, I know that Laura will be there EVERY step to share and cheer on The Light that Lucia is here to share.   We love you Aunt LaLa and Uncle AhAh  (that is what i think Lu will call them when she can).  Thank you for being there with YOUR LIGHT every step of the way.

1 month old at RMHC Laura, Lu and Adam
2 days old.  3 of my favorite girls- Laura, Lu and Kimmy
Lucia's FIRST babysitters, Laura and Lu - Adam taking the picture.

Thank you Joe Eschelman for Lucia's LeHigh sweatshirt- you made Jason's week.  Thank you Heidi Harding, Topaz Roberts, Sara Fox, Betsy Lummis, Lisa Olsen, Brande Lamb and Brandi McKenzie for purchasing Lucia Light T-shirts! Thank you Laura and Adam for letting me share the picture below..hope you don't mind! Thank you ALL for being here to share the steps of this journey!


Laura and Adam Huff- Halloween 2012-How Awesome are they?!

5 comments:

Amy said...

Awsome!

Amy said...

Awsome!

Laura said...

I am putting this in my portfolio for our Amazing Race application!!! We have something special, and Lucia has multiplied it beyond words!!

Tonya said...

I am SOOOOOO thankful for Laura; what an amazingly wonderful person!!!! She is a true blessing; a real-life angel!!!!

Laura said...

Love you, Lu. Hope tp see you soon. Uncle AhAh

Jules-I love how very special of a friendship that you and Laura have. You are the best!