Thursday, October 13, 2011

You just never know


Lucia in her new bumbo seat with her new friend, Dutchess the cow. 

Lucia had a doctor's appointment today and while we were waiting to see her surgeon, Dr. Rothenburg, another little girl was wheeled into the waiting room.  She appeared to be about 6 years old or so.  I hesitated at first to ask anything and then I remembered how I appreciate when people ask about Lucia.  They care to ask and not just wonder and feel sorry that something might be wrong.  So I asked her mom,  does she have a syndrome of some kind?  I thought for sure her mom would say yes.  However, she responded that her daughter, Mackenzie, had choked on a cracker when she was 18 months old, and was oxygen deprived.  She is now wheelchair bound, can't talk or hold her head up very well, but she smiled and looked very happy.  There are so many different reasons for special kids, some are born with a rare syndrome and some have a path that changes course later in life...you just never know... Whatever the reason, it happens and that little Mackenzie seemed as happy and as sweet as could be.  She even had the cutest purple wheelchair I had ever seen...and I thought if Lucia needs one of those later in life, I would choose that one and believe Lucia would feel sporty and pretty on it.  I do have a very vivid picture of her riding a tricycle too..biking to school..with a basket...and maybe a pink and orange flag.
For now we are working on therapy and this week we introduced an orange bumbo (pictured above)!  Just a little time in that orange bumbo as her neck is not too strong but... little by little..step by step..smile by smile..spoonful by spoonful..we are making progress!
Thank you again for all the work and planning that has gone into the PKS Benefit this Saturday.  My parents arrived yesterday and we can't wait!

Bye-bo and lots of very special love,

the Dawkins

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that the Bumbo is orange and looks like a BIG PUMPKIN. It's so appropriate for October. I also can not wait to see what Lucia dresses up for her first Haloween as! We love you little Lu! Karen

Diana said...

How was your appt with Dr. Rothenberg? We saw him yesteday too! He finally discharged Lexi from the hospital! We are finally home and things are going awesome with her button! Thanks for all the tips, they have helped so much! I so wish we could join you guys tomorrow night but with Lexi still so sick we can't make it. I will email more soon. We had our genetics visit and have lots to share.